Friday, July 24, 2009

Memory

Improve Your memory
Herald-Journal Parade

Article by Emily Listfield

Research show that exercising can enhance your memory, mood, and problem solving abilities. Our thoughts and emotions are affected by how we move. Specific gestures can actually change how our brain works or processes thoughts. When you are feeling down you tend to think the same things over and over again. If you change your environment by going for a walk you are changing your thought process. Mind and movement can also improve memory. For example, if you use certain hand movements to go with each step in trying to solve a math problem, if you repeat those same movements later it will help you remember the thought sequence.

When you exercise your body releases endorphins, and endorphins are neurotransmitters produced in the brain. This chemical helps release stress and change your mood and emotional state.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is true. I run 2-3 times a week, to help me relieve stress. I always feel better and have a different attitude of things after I run. If I don't run for a week or two, I notice that I have a tendency to get down and have a harder time sleepin.

    Jessica S.

    ReplyDelete