Monday, July 27, 2009

Phobia

NPR Radio
Mark Malcalf had a fear of flying like many people and he acknowledge his irrational fear, one day he decided to over come his fear. He made his mind up that he was going to face his fear and stay on a plane for 30 days. Mark talked to the people who were on the flights over the intercom explaining his journey of over coming his fear. He was quick to learn that many people were also afraid of flying. Mark was a comedian, so he always made each flight go by with lots of laughter and fun. Some times he would have the passengers play bingo and many other silly games. He only got off the plane when there was a lay over or he needed to switch flights. He received lots of support from passenger's and even the pilots. One of the pilots explained to him that turbulence was like driving on gravel or hitting a wave on a boat,the pilot also explained to him that flying is the safest way of transportation.
A phobia is an irrational fear of objects or situations. Some life experiences or situations can create a phobia. Mark is using systematic desensitization to over come his fear of flying. He had to first make his mind up to get on the plane, he remained calm until his fear gradually weakened and his fear disappeared.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if this would make me get over my fear of flying. I flew when I was 13 years old and did not have a problem with it. Over the years I have developed a little anxiety and just the thought of flying makes me nervous. I think what he did would be very hard to do and he was very determined. I do not think I would ever be that determined in getting rid of my fears. It was also very helpful to read this article because it shows that he actually put forth effort and maybe if I do the same I could get over my fears like him.

    ReplyDelete